Saturday, July 17, 2010

On the wrong side of Egypt

Great was my dissapointment when I drove all the way to my now not-so-favourite-hotel in the mountains. They don't want to give me internet access anymore! so my peacefull inspirational writing and working spot has been torn from me! Now you can only get coffee there.. :-(
Before the time of Exodus, Pharao held the Israelites captive in a land that was not their own, and his people suffered for it. I seem to be living on the wrong side of that country...
By the end of last year I was working in a place which could not be refered to as much else but cockroach valley. Whether they had claim to the land or us, was never really established, and we learnt to live there in unity. There were frustrations from both sides, with the occational blatta-phobic attack, deminishing their numbers somewhat. But the Blatta-people are a strong people, as you know, and not daunted by our attempt at freedom. the trick was just always to keep them confined to the hos[ital, and not accedentily giving them a lift home or anywhere else. Well, luckely I left. Plague one.
The ants.
By middle February this year things on Hugnor farm in Mieliekloof, Tzaneen was not good. It was then that the ants came... marching 10 000 X10 000 hurah hurah. I think they were frustrated with doing land-claims through the legal systems, and decided that no puny house or person will stand in their way. They figured numbers would work in their favour, and came En-mass
They strategised to sink my house through a series of key tunnels and holes. I could envisage their mighty plan, with my house dissapearing in a cloud of dust, with a faint rumble and then a mighty crash. People would come from miles to see the famous sink hole, and headlines would read "mighty war waged by army of ants" and "let the world's armies learn from the african ant". Their commander tried to stall all attempts by the enemy (me) to call in reinforcements, and sent a special division to attack my faithfull stead and infiltrate him from within. By the time I realised this evil plan, ants were crawling out of every crack and edifice and poor George looked like a corpse eaten from the inside out. He also attacked communication systems, and a special khamakazi force was send to infiltrate the laptop. I discoverd them after the damage had been done.
Luckily I located the bottle of powdered doom just in time. A crack in their mighty infallible plan!! I was able to keep the danger at bay untill further reinforcement arrived. Had their plan succeeded, my loss would have been complete. They left.
Weary from battle, and just recovering, looking forward to a time of recuperation and rest, I was woken in the dead of night by a noise that could be none other than that of someone (or thing) preparing for a mighty war. Whether the war was going to be on me or not, I have not been able to confirm, but that some creature was building and reinforcing a fort in my roof was evident. They built under the cover of night, and seemed to find materials for this fortification anywhere and at all places across the inside of that small and humble roof. I swear, not even a bazooka would be able to penetrate that fort. Boxes and materials were dragged form one side of the roof to the next, and workers occasionally stopped to scratch behind their ears and communicate important messages to each other. I was pertrified of the battle that was looming. Luckily we have a professional sharp-shooter hiding out on the farm, and with protection gear and armed to the teeth, he stole up there one day in day-time, when the army least expected it, and killed them off one by one. Hopefully there were no survivors. Only time will tell
You can understand that necessity for recuperation and peace called me to the far shores of Cape Town, but word spread amongst the land-claimers...
The flea is an incredible machine, with power to jump the hight of Everest, and disappear in the wink of an eye, that leave you wondering if you are in your right mind about their actual existance. But their bite, as small as they are, and the itch that ensues, is enough to send their enemy out of his (or her) mind. They first take their enemy out, then take over. I had to literally flea my house, and when my parents arived from Cape Town, they found me in the heat of battle. Luckily my enegies were refilled and my strength up. But no jokes, battle is not easy... There were many casualties, from only one side I am glad to report. But I had my share of war scars.
Today there is only the stray casualty, which I easily help out of it's misery of a life. Except if he hurls himself up to the peak of Everest before I get to squash him with my thumb. But I will prevail...
What will be next? Never mind, I will not accept it!! Wie is bang...

No comments:

Post a Comment