Sunday, March 25, 2012

This is a (unfortunately most possibly boring) account of my across-8-pages-of-map trip down to CT in December last year.


I have not written here in a long while. Well, since then, I am no longer and LO teacher, and neither am I in the UK :D (which was the plan since last year February)
At the end of 2011 George and I took a bear called Jack on a scenic route down to CT. I realised again and again (at almost every turn in the road and view of the country side) what a beautiful (to put it mildly) country we have. It took me 3 weeks to get into CT, but I could easily have spent another 2 months on that stretch of road.


Highlights of the Trip: visiting all my peeps (long-last-seen and more recently acquainted) along the way from Hoedspruit all the way down to Knysna and then the fair Cape. Spending time with the Wevers was a blessing I often recall. I spent a lot of time recuperating physically, mentally and emotionally. Leaving the place I still often refer to as “home” was not easy, and the 5 days I spent with them really took my mind off what I left behind and realising how extremely blessed I am by the people I have in my life.


The road took me past Hoedspruit, visiting the Nell’s, the Kruger, visiting Greg, Franklin Park, Sabi visiting Madelein whom I met earlier the year, Nelspruit with the Wevers, through Swaziland, past Jozini, to Manguzi visiting Nelia whom I spent a lovely time with in Ponta de oura, down south past Empangeni and Mtunzini too visit Annette and Saskia repectively in Maritzburg, through the Transkei to family in PE, and down to Knysna to join my parents and my sister and her family. From there it was to CT to unpack and re-focus.


Franklin Park was epic, enjoying it with myself, the bear called Jack and Jane Aires and just parking it out having all that green to myself. I must have made quite a spectical taking a 5km run through the forest in my jeans, tekkies, Jane Aire under my left arm and my camera in my right hand. Luckily there was no one to look at me and I rather enjoyed the freedom :) The road to Sabi was so misty that on arrival at the 4way junction leading into town, I could hardly spot the Gas-station right next to the road. Everything just drifted in and out of the mist. I still wanted to stop over for pancakes in Grasskop, but the mist made driving such a pleasant experience, I drove right past. I think I hardly ever broke the 60 notch.
This was December in South Africa, and although we sport one of the highest fatality-stats on our roads, I was road-checked only twice during the 3 week trip down to CT. And none except the officer checking me back into SA from Swazi noticed my expired licence disk. This (although a blessingJ) is quite shocking. All in all, the only place I felt unsafe on all those miles of road, was on the N2, where big Oom’s with big egos and big cars to match them would come zooping up your arse like they think it’s their world. I didn't like them and tried to stay off the N2 as far as possible.


The road from Lavumisa past Jozini and east to Mangusi was a bit pot-holy, but not nearly as bad as I anticipated, and I only saw the occasional cow, which I know is not the norm. So God had His hand in all of this too. From Manguzi we hopped over to Ponta, and spent a royal weekend along with all the other tourists there for the long-weekend. (tourists with big cars...) We still had time to pop into Kosi Bay, snorkling in the luke warm water and having a ball.
In Maritzburg I attended my first Pub-quiz and was sold on the idea. Dankie tannie Annetjie vir daardie bekendstelling.


Maritsburg – Richmond – Ixopo – Kokstad – Cedarville – Matatiele – Mount Fletcher (where I could not stop for petrol...) – Maclear (where I eventyally could get some fuel) – Elliot – Cala – Lady Frere – Queenstown – Sada – Fort Beaufort – Grahamstown – and at long last, PE.




This was literally the way I tackled the day after Maritzburg, it being by far the longest day of the trip. That covered over a thousand km’s after already spending 2 weeks on the road. It was sad to be covering so much scenic in so short time, but my mind was set on getting this part done in order to make Knysna on an appropriate date. For a long stretch of that road we drove along the foot-hills of The Berg, and the majestic Berg itself visible along the left of that country. That day was long, and I must admit, I was paste at the end. We (George, Jack and I) hit two storms front on, and this made for extreme driving with lighting flashes almost off the bonnet and visibility so poor, all I could focus on was the white line ahead. Although maybe not the safest drive, and most definitely not the cautious option, it made for some extreme driving and an experience you would probably not have many times in your life (alone at least). The only vehicle I passed on the road between Fort Beaufort and Grahamstown was a lone Taxi coming from the opposite direction. Most people probably deciding to sit out the storm somewhere safer that on the road. I’ll always remember passing those lakes with the thunder echoing off the rocks, the lightning lighting up the whole countryside flash by flash and me clutched to the steering wheel, listening to the white noise on the radio and praying a heck of a lot. By the Time we made Grahamstown, my whole body as stiff and sore. But I must admit, I was happy :D.
PE (what I saw of it) was amasing. It boiled down to a hot meal, a fluffy bed, a late(ish) sleep, and coffee before the way on.
By the time I re-hit the N2, the holiday season was in full swing and all I wanted was to get to my family past Knysna. Past went Jeffrey’s, past went Storms River, past went Tsitsikama, past went Plett, past went Knysna, and eventually I hit Sedgefield, in time for lunch.
It was amasing to see the landscape change, the people change, the fruit-stalls next to the road change and even the vibe change. I thank the Lord for George, our country and all the people that care enough to let me in on their lives. You rock, and so does this country.
(photos to follow...)

No comments:

Post a Comment